Sunday, May 18, 2008

Notes this weekend


1. Speed Racer crashed in the box office. It crashed really bad. So bad, it did just as well as Ashton's 'What Happened in Vegas' even if it spent like $100 Million more than the romantic comedy. I think it's totally unwarranted. Sure, it won't win any Oscars, especially for Best Screenplay. The Wachowskis will never be compared to the Coens (TRIVIA: Larry Wachowski was absurdly rumored to have had a sex change and was now answering to the name Lana). But I think people are too hard on it. Did they expect to be moved to tears? Was Speed Racer supposed to change their life? It was fun. Its art direction was amazing. I loved how they captured the campy, anime-ish style of the original and the racing scenes had me on the edge of my seat! Although I think the fact that the cinema was cold and I was peeish helped. Overall, it was a great waste time. Sure it wasn't as good as the original Matrix movie or V for Vendetta but it was miles better than Matrix Reloaded. It's better than many blockbuster hits. And that's good enough for me.

Perhaps one reason for its demise is that the original cartoon wasn't too popular after all. I've had many conversations with different set of friends and they don't even know what the cartoon was about. They don't even know its plot. One even said it was based on a video game or action figure. Huh?!?! I found this weird. My childhood was really pre-Cartoon Network and a gazillion cable channels and i really feel lucky for this. It means my peers and I were watching the same shows, no matter how sucky they were (Think Teddy Ruxpin and Beverly Hills Teens). You feel like you have something in common. You have a connection. I guess Speed Racer aired during nappy time and I was the only one awake.


2. With all his hosting experience, would Alex Trebek win in Jeopardy? Is he a genius himself? Or is he just a good at reading teleprompters?

3. I dunno if this just applies to my Church but have you noticed that people don't hold hands anymore when singing 'Our Father?' The cause: the SARS scare. I remember the Archdiocese actually discouraged this practice at the height of SARS and i thought it was a good precautionary procedure. The disease has come and gone but years after, people are in no hurry to exchange extended handshakes again. I think people didn't like this habit to begin with, especially if you really don't know where your seatmate's hand has been. Most were just too polite to break tradition. But SARS gave them a way out. And as a result, masses can feel less like a community.

1 comment:

cey enriquez said...

Rj, di ko pa napanood ang speed racer, malamang sa dibidi na lang. Uy, tama ka, nakakamiss yung holding-hands pag 'Our Father'. Pero lately, I've been grabbing my seatmates' hands (just to piss them off?) di naman, kasi lang parang ika mo nga kulang yung sense of community. Parang ang sarap lang ng feeling na damang-dama mo na isang buong simbahan kayong tumatawag sa itaas. Pero tinatancha ko din, yung iba obviously ayaw talaga pahawak kasi kulang na lang ilapit nila sa dibdib nila yung mga kamay nila. Wala pa namang nagtapik ng kamay ko o overtly nandiri sa magaspang kong palad. So, I guess, try mo ding mangholding hands sa misa minsan. Malay mo, ikaw uli magpauso sa St. Andrew's nun. :)