Sunday, July 27, 2008

Travel Time

I love to travel. Its prospect alone makes my happy. I think aside from experiencing a new culture, and trying out new food, what i really want to do is get lost, to be in a place where everyone's a stranger, where everything is new. When you travel, you can be silly, be weird, make up a new personality, tell lies or be entirely truthful about yourself. It allows you to start anew, albeit temporarily.

You're free to do anything and mistakes can be less damaging. Because you know that once you head home, you've effectively pressed the reset button.

**********

I'm almost sure of canceling my September trip. I'll try again in Feb when i have more money and hopefully, more friends who i can travel with to San Fo. I don't feel too bad about it though. I'm still excited to go to Boracay and maybe i can take a quick regional trip in the latter part of the year instead.

**********

Just saw Mamma Mia and Greece is lovely. Abba songs are great and so was Helen Hunt. The wedding scene was also great but that's about it. Maybe i came in with different expectations. I generally like musicals, even their movie versions. But i think this movie feel prey to the same trap as Across the Universe where the songs were bigger than their stories. Songs should aid in storytelling. Instead, the story was beholden to them. They force fit songs that may have entirely different meanings. Plus, it was a bit too campy for my taste. Traces of Pik Pak Boom everywhere (although this was set in a lovely greek island instead of in Pansol). But a lot of my friends liked this movie, though they were mostly girls. I guess it appeals to the chick flick demographic primarily. Ü

No comments: