Wednesday, May 14, 2008

My Big Bang Theory



Like an unresolved scientific theory, this show is a big enigma to me. First, the indications.
1. It doesn't talk to teens, to women or any significant demographic.
2. Most of the cast members look like people you'd see anywhere...and then avoid!
3. The jokes are made by geeks for geeks. Its esoteric. Just watch the opening credits and you'd get what i mean. You'd need to play back the dialogue and consider Collier's encyclopedia your bible to get it.

Despite these apparent disadvantages, it is rating well and has been renewed by CBS while the fate of other shows like 'How I met Your Mother' is still being decided by the celestial CBS gods. I don't know why people like it though. Personally, i like the show, sometimes i think maybe a bit too much. But i consider my liking for it similar to my choice of historical textbooks as bedside reading--something i enjoy but i dont expect anyone else to understand. I doubt if the geek market is that big. Because really, how big is the table of kids in the cafeteria playing Magic Cards? Geeks are a minority. They're already over represented in High School Musical. Plus, I doubt if normal rural Americans get it.

Maybe there's a large closet geek market. People all around us, who aren't wearing retainers or suspenders or high waist, pleated pants. They could be your neighbor or your friend, who won't admit they make quadratic equations for fun. The combined closet and screaming geek population must be the driving force behind them, as well as sustaining all the incarnations of Star Trek. For other normal peeps, maybe the scientific gibberish is just so strange it's funny, and getting at least 1 joke per episode makes them proud, like its an accomplishment, like getting the $200 question in jeopardy.

I just hope its novelty is sustained. I'm now on my 12th episode and its starting to be a bit of a drag. Sheldon is becoming annoying, similar to how the cute ally mcbeal became loathsome very quickly. But if shows about nothing like friends and seinfeld became big hits, i guess it can be done. I wish these geeks well.

No comments: